James Wyld (1790-1836)
Wyld was apprenticed to William Faden in the Clothworkers’ Company in 1804, and made free in 1811. After his freedom, Wyld seems to have worked as a surveyor and for the Quartermaster General's Office, the department of the army responsible for publishing maps, being involved in producing maps for use by the British Army in the Peninsula War.
At the end of the Napoleonic War, Wyld moved into commercial mapmaking and publishing, as an engraver, printer and publisher. In 1823 he took over the Faden map making and publishing business, which he operated until his death in 1836. He was joined in partnership by his son also named James (1812-1887).
The Wylds were the leading English mapmakers and publishers, succeeding Faden as geographer to the King and to the Duke of York, and then by appointment to King William IV and then Queen Victoria. Wyld sr. was one of the founding members of the Royal Geographical Society in August 1830.