Edward Stanford (1827-1904)
Apprenticed as a printer and stationer. He founded his business in partnership with Saunders in 1852 as "Suanders & Stanford" but was dissolved in 1853. He founded "Stanford's Geographical Establishment" 1857, employing Suanders and Alexander Keith Johnston to prepare maps. By 1864 he was employing twenty-eight men and thirteen boys. He acquire the John Arrowsmith stock at auction in 1874 and by 1881 his staff had grown to sixty-five men, nineteen boys and three women, with his son Edward Standford II (1856-1917) acting as his assistant. He retired in 1882 and his son took over. The firm still exists.