Robinson's Motorist's & Hikers Map Central Eastern N.S.W.
Robinson's Motorist's & Hikers Map Central Eastern N.S.W. Robinson's Motorist's & Hikers Map Central Eastern N.S.W.


Title:
Robinson's Motorist's & Hikers Map Central Eastern N.S.W.
Date:
C1954
Mapmaker:
Herbert Edward Cooper Robinson (1857?-1933)
Image Size:
960mm x 710mm (37.8" x 27.95")
Condition:
In good condition, with centre folds as issued, laid onto archival linen.
Technique:
Lithograph printed in colour.
Price:

Availability: In stock

$A 650
Stock Number:
NSW 1954 ROBI 226 (NOGY) (MD12)
Description:

Detailed large scale map of New South Wales by H.E.C. Robinson, extending from Singleton to Canberra and west to Cootamundra. Indicates roads, tracks and trails, total distances from Sydney, camping areas and prohibited camping areas, towns, government aerodromes, licensed public aerodromes, emergency landing grounds, rivers, creeks and ranges.

Collections: 
State Library of NSW; Library Australia ID 44784417

Biography:

Herbert Edward Cooper Robinson (1857?-1933) 

Robinson was a map publisher who came to Australia in 1863 rived with his family in Victoria where his father set up practice in Ryrie Street, Geelong. In his early twenties Robinson moved to Sydney where he joined the public service as a temporary draughtsman. In 1882 he set up in business as Higinbotham, Robinson & Harrison, map publishers and lithographers. Harrison withdrew from the venture in 1887 and next April Higinbotham & Robinson was declared bankrupt. Robinson rejoined the public service as a contract draughtsman in the Department of Mines.

In 1895 Robinson set up his own map-publishing business in Wentworth Court, moving in 1906 to Phillip Street and in 1913 to permanent location at 221-223 George Street. In November 1917 H. E. C. Robinson Ltd was officially incorporated with seven share holders and Robinson as managing director. Business flourished, especially during World War I when there was a demand for maps showing the progress of the war. 

Robinson was a member of the Geographical Society of New South Wales and fellow of the Royal Geographical Society of London. He made many valuable contributions to geographical science and was a delegate to the 1923 Sydney Regional Plan Convention. A friend and technical collaborator of Professor Sir Edgeworth David, he helped to produce David's monumental large-scale Geological Map of the Commonwealth of Australia in 1932; his draughtsmen also produced the maps for Donald Mackay's important aerial surveys of Australia from 1930.  
In November 1959 H. E. C. Robinson Ltd became a subsidiary of Angus & Robertson Ltd.

Availability: In stock

$A 650
Add to Cart
Free shipping
Australia-wide
Worldwide over $A150

Availability: In stock

$A 650
Add to Cart
Free shipping
Australia-wide
Worldwide over $A150