Map of the Proposed Seven United Provinces of Eastern Australia.

Map of the Proposed Seven United Provinces of Eastern Australia.
John Allan (fl. 1845-1883)
Image Size:
183mm x 107mm (7.2" x 4.21")
Sheet Size:
204mm x 108mm (8.03" x 4.25")
In good condition.
Hand coloured lithograph.
Stock Number:
NSW 1857 ALL (NTL) (C026)

Early map of New South Wales showing the borders of seven proposed states or provinces - Victoria and New South Wales are outlined except New South Wales finishes at the 30 degree latitude ; the eastern border of South Australia is defined but the western border appears undecided; Tasmania is still named Van Dieman's Land; however, the state of Queensland is divided into 3 provinces - Cooks Land (in the south), Leicharts Land (up to the Gulf of Carpentaria), and Flinders Land (along the Carpentaria coast to Torres Strait). 


National Library of Australia: Bib ID711610


John Allan (fl.1845-1883) 

Sydney  engraver, lithographer and printer. Also produced music, seals, views by Samuel Thomas Gill.

Allan was the son of Alexander Allan of Bonnygate, Cupar, Fifeshire, Scotland, whose death in June 1863 was announced in the Sydney Morning Herald 21 Aug 1863 and may probably be identified with the John Allan born 9 Apr 1822 and baptised at Dysart, Fife, 5 May 1822 the son of Alexander Allan and his wife Mary Skinner. He commenced in business with an announcement in the same newspaper on 1 Jul 1845, advertising seal and copperplate engraving, as well as lithographic printing. He advertised his engraving business in “Low’s directory of the city and district of Sydney” for 1846 in the following terms: “Engraving. John Allan, in returning his sincere thanks to his friends and the public generally, for past favors, respectfully solicits a continuance of the same. 

His move to “more eligible premises” in Hunter Street was announced in the Sydney Morning Herald 8 Apr 1847. He traded with William Hankinson Wigley as “Allan & Wigley” from 1 Jan 1855 to the end of 1867. The firm’s move from Bridge Street to George Street was announced in The Empire and other newspapers in July 1858. The partnership was dissolved 1 Jan 1868, Wigley taking over and changing the name to “W. H. Wigley & Co”. In later life Allan concentrated on seal engraving and died at Sydney 22 Oct 1883, reportedly aged fifty-seven. He was buried at Rookwood.

Business addresses;

1845 -          York Street, near the Barrack Gate, Sydney 
1846 -          Bridge Street, Sydney 
1846-1847   81 King Street West, Sydney 
1847            2 Hunter Street, Sydney 
1850-1852  2 Bridge Street, Sydney 
1855-1858  23 Bridge Street, Sydney 
1858-1867  297 George Street, opposite the Empire Office, Sydney
1861           287 Macquarie Street, Sydney (home)