Map of the Counties of Young, Hamley, Albert and Alfred.

Title: Map of the Counties of Young, Hamley, Albert and Alfred.
Date: C1876
Mapmaker: Frank Skeffington Carroll (c.1837-1887)
Engraver: Francis Wilson Niven (1831-1905)
Image Size: 535mm x 400mm (21.06" x 15.75")
Sheet Size: 557mm x 423mm (21.93" x 16.65")
Technique: Lithograph printed in colour.
Condition: A little faint spotting on lower right corner, otherwise in good condition. With centre fold as issued.
Stock Number: TNCH 013 SA (NHGY) (C093)
05681
Price: $A 195
Description:
County map covering the area around the north west bend of the River Murray.

From Carroll, Frank Skeffington; The New Counties, Hundreds, & District Atlas of South Australia and the Northern Territory.

Collections:
National Library of Australia: Bib ID   4311532

Biography:

Frank Skeffington Carroll (c.1837–1887)

Mapmaker, journalist, editor, and politician in the colony of South Australia.  Carroll was born in Ireland, the second son of Bernard Carroll of Dublin. He emigrated to Australia, around 1870.

Francis Wilson Niven (1831-1905)

Niven was a lithographic printer and mariner. At the age of 13 he went to sea and was apprenticed to John Sargent, captain of the Stebonheath. Following voyages to Victoria in 1851 and 1853, having gained the rank of first mate (1852), he was discharged in London on 15 June 1854.

After prospecting with limited success, Niven decided upon the occupation of printing, specifically lithography, because it suited the artistic disposition he had inherited from his father. He purchased presses for £40 from Alfred Ronalds, a nurseryman at Ballarat who had formerly been a lithographer at Geelong. Niven taught himself to use this equipment with the aid of Ure's Dictionary of Arts. His first known commercial work was assisting with illustrations on Ballarat Punch in 1857. In the 1860s he trained with the lithographic artist Hermann Deutsch in his Bridge Road office. 

They produced many prints of Ballarat scenes. Between 1863 and 1865 Deutsch sold him the business. Innovation in lithography was a significant part of the firm's success and in 1873 Niven imported one of the earliest known commercial steam lithographic presses in Australia.

F. W. Niven & Co. became a large printing business and at its peak employing seventy hands and having some £7000 worth of machinery.