The Dingo or Native Dog


Title:
The Dingo or Native Dog
Date:
C1886
Artist:
Frank Prout Mahony (1862-1916)
Image Size:
90mm x 87mm (3.54" x 3.43")
Condition:
In good condition.
Technique:
Hand coloured engraving.
Price:

Availability: In stock

$A 55
Stock Number:
PAA 3725J ANI AA (NITY) (B009)
Description:

Colonial engraving of a dingo.
The first report of a 'wild dog' in Australia was made by the Dutchman, Jan Cartenzoon near Cape Keer, Queensland 8 May 1623;

'I went ashore myself with 10 musketeers we saw numerous footprints of men and dogs (running from south to north) we accordingly spent some time there, following the footprints to a river...we also saw great numbers of dogs, herons and curlews...'

The first printed illustration of the Dingo appeared in Phillip's, A Voyage to Botany Bay.

Common names;  Dingo, Wild Dog or Warrigal.
Modern binomial name ;  Canis lupus dingo 
Recent synonyms;  Canis dingo
First described;  Meyer 1793 
Distribution;  Australia wide (mainland)

Ref; Heere; The Part Borne by the Dutch in the Discovery of Australia 1606-1765 pp.124-125

Biography:

Frank Prout Mahony (1862-1916)

Mahony was born in Melbourne and christened Francis, Mahony later adding Prout and generally signed his work Frank P. Mahony a brother. The family moved tto Sydney when he was 10 and he was first employed in an architect's office. He studied under Giulio Anivitti at the New South Wales Academy of Art and he came to prominence through his work on the Picturesque Atlas of Australasia, two of his contributions , the spearing of Edmund Kennedy and E. J. Eyre's struggle along the coast with the faithful Wylie, became part of the legendary of Australian exploration. From the centenary until Federation, Mahony was one of the best-known Australian artists and illustrators, specializing in horses.

His oils included 'Rounding up a Straggler' (1889), which possibly influenced Tom Roberts, and 'The Cry of the Mothers' (1895); both were bought by the National Art Gallery of New South Wales. More significant was his black-and-white work contributed to such journals as the Sydney Mail, the Bulletin and the Australian Town and Country Journal. In 1893 he illustrated A. B. Paterson's poem The Geebung Polo Club. Mahony was a founding council member in 1895 of the breakaway Society of Artists, an instructor at the Art Society of New South Wales, and a member of the Dawn and Dusk Club.

After he at the Kensington Infirmary on 28 June 1916, a memorial to 'our first Australian born artist' was erected 'by Australian admirers' at Mahony's grave in Hanwell cemetery, Middlesex. 

Availability: In stock

$A 55
Add to Cart
Free shipping
Australia-wide
Worldwide over $A150

Availability: In stock

$A 55
Add to Cart
Free shipping
Australia-wide
Worldwide over $A150