Rare engraving of a classical sculpture FROM THE COLLECTION OF: Gerard Reynst (1599-1658)
Reynst was born in Amsterdam, the and named after his father Gerard Reynest, a wealthy merchant, who in 1614 became the second Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies Company, and Margrieta Nicquet, whose merchant brother Jacques Nicquet was a fervent art collector. Gerard Jr. lived in a house called De Hoop at Keizersgracht 209 that he later turned into an art museum. His brother Jan was a collector of antique statuary and Italian paintings who was able to purchase the collection of the estate of Andrea Vendramin, the Dodge of Venice, in 1629 which contained 230 sculptures and 140 paintings.
After Jan's death in 1646 almost all of these were sent to Gerard, who then published a selection of 112 sculptures from the collection, Signorum Veterum Icones.
After Gerrit's death in 1658 the collection was dispersed into English, German and other Dutch collections, including what is now the Antikensammlung in Berlin, and some remained with his widow Anna. The Dutch Republic bought 24 of the best Italian paintings and 12 of the best Classical sculptures from Gerrit's widow in 1660 for 80,000 gulden.