C1902

[AUSTRALIA-QLD] Torres Strait Goode Island Anchorage

Rare first issue of this Hydrographic chart of present day Goods Island, Torres Strait showing the entrance to the anchorage on the south western side of the island dated 18th March, 1904. The first Europeans to inhabit Goods Island were … Read Full Description

$A 475

In stock

S/N: HYDRO-3419-QLD-04XXXX–358106
(MD-07)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

[AUSTRALIA-QLD] Torres Strait Goode Island Anchorage

Date:

C1902

Condition:

In good condition.

Technique:

Copper engraving.

Image Size: 

650mm 
x 483mm

Paper Size: 

670mm 
x 500mm
AUTHENTICITY
[AUSTRALIA-QLD] Torres Strait Goode Island Anchorage - Antique Map from 1902

Genuine antique
dated:

1902

Description:

Rare first issue of this Hydrographic chart of present day Goods Island, Torres Strait showing the entrance to the anchorage on the south western side of the island dated 18th March, 1904.

The first Europeans to inhabit Goods Island were E. Powell, the signalman, and his family. A signal station and quarters were established there in 1877. Powell used a flash lamp and flags to signal ships approaching Prince of Wales Channel or Normanby Sound, and then signal the Police Magistrate on Thursday Island. Shortly afterwards, a pilot station and associated living quarters were also established, on the eastern side of the island. Also at this time, Hockings, one of the Strait’s most prominent pearling businesses, established a pearling station there.

In 1882 Torres Strait pearl fishers requested that the Queensland government install a light at the western entrance of the strait. The request was strongly endorsed by George Heath, chairman of the Queensland Marine Board, who directed that it be constructed on Goods Island, to point out the entrance to Normanby Sound. A temporary light was at first installed on the verandah of the signalman’s quarters. This was followed in 1886 by the construction of a proper lighthouse using government labour. The lighthouse was a small iron clad, timber framed building, with a white, cylindrical body and red cupola roof. It was installed with a dioptric light of the Fourth Order, with a totally reflecting glass mirror. Although it only stood around five metres high, it was located at the highest point on the island, reaching a height of 115 metres.

Hydrographic charting of Australia History ( - )

Naval policy dictated that Admiralty charts be destroyed when superseded to avoid navigational error. It was during Rear Admiral John Washington’s period as the Admiralty’s hydrographer, 1855-1863, that a series of agreements were drawn up with the Australian colonies. These agreements provided boats and crews for use by officers lent from the Royal Navy to chart the coasts and shoal waters in the approaches to the rapidly developing towns, communication with which was seriously hampered by the the frequency of shipwrecks. It had been the discovery of gold and the consequent rush of miners and emigrants from not only England but California that added greatly the numbers of ships sailing to Australia’s east coast. This led to numerous petitions being made to Her Majesty’s Government to chart the eastern approaches to Australia to make for safer passage for shipping.

View other items by Hydrographic charting of Australia History

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.