C1854

Byrnes Cloth Factory, Parramatta River.

Scarce early colonial engraving of Byrne’s cloth Factory on the Parramatta River in 1854. Byrne built their factory on the lot to the south of the Rivercat Wharf on George Street and next to Harrisford House, James and William Byrnes, … Read Full Description

$A 145

In stock

S/N: LSIS-NS-003–220295
(B005)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Byrnes Cloth Factory, Parramatta River.

Date:

C1854

Condition:

In good condition.

Technique:

Hand coloured engraving.

Image Size: 

155mm 
x 105mm

Paper Size: 

270mm 
x 205mm
AUTHENTICITY
Byrnes Cloth Factory, Parramatta River. - Antique View from 1854

Genuine antique
dated:

1854

Description:

Scarce early colonial engraving of Byrne’s cloth Factory on the Parramatta River in 1854.

Byrne built their factory on the lot to the south of the Rivercat Wharf on George Street and next to Harrisford House, James and William Byrnes, had an allotment from which they conducted their river ferry and industrial interests and agencies in the 1840’s and 50’s. In 1841 the two brothers built a steam flour mill on land leased from the Elizabeth farm estate. They must have done well for five years later they built a five story cloth mill next to the first mill. The new mill was located approximately between the modern Noller Parade and the Rivercat wharf to the east of a line drawn to the river through modern Purchase Street. By January 1847 the cloth factory was manufacturing lama cloth, tweeds (and a durable cloth called ‘Parramatta Tweed’), checks, doeskins and kerseymeres and for the first time tartans were woven in the colony. Using imported English machinery, the mill started with 39 employees and by 1849 had manufactured 32,882 yards of tweed.

References;
Ferguson, J. A. Bibliography of Australia Volumes 1-8, Canberra 1976 15440a.

Collections:
National Library Australia: Bib ID 741847
State Library New South Wales: CALL NUMBERS RB/DQ991A/15
State Library Victoria: RARELT 919.44 S5L
University Library Melbourne: Call No. 994.4100222 TERR
National Library Australia: LEGACY ID 58185

Frederick Casemero Terry (1826 - 1869)

Terry was an artist and engraver born England and emigrated to Sydney and arriving in Sydney in the early 1850's. He was soon part of colonial society and became known for his paintings and engravings. This engraving is from his rare series Landscape Scenery Illustrating Sydney and Port Jackson, New South Wales printed by Sands and Kenny. Unusually set within an oval image they included views of Sydney town and the harbour, as well a number of country towns. Unfortunately the engraver had mispelt Terry's name and as a result it appears as Fleury. At the 1855 Paris Exhibition he was included with five other Australian artists in having his paintings displayed. He was then invited to exhibit in the Further Exhibition of the Society for the Promotion of the Fine Arts in Australia held in the Mechanic's School of Arts. By the 1860's he was established as one of best colonial artists and in 1861 he had been made examiner at the Mechanics School of Arts. Terry died at the early age of forty four and as many artists before him he had struggled financially in his last years.

View other items by Frederick Casemero Terry

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.