C1597

[Cochem] Exactissma Ciuitatis Monasteriensis in Cam

Rare c.16th town plans of Cochem and Munstermaifeld, Germany from the famous series Civitates Orbis Terrarum (Cities of the World) by George Braun and Franz Hogenberg. The dating of this issue is identified by the Latin text on the verso, and … Read Full Description

$A 650

In stock

S/N: BCOTW-376-EU-GER–433101
(LF 06 )
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

[Cochem] Exactissma Ciuitatis Monasteriensis in Cam

Date:

C1597

Engraver:

Georg Braun 
(1541 – 
1622)

Condition:

In good condition, with centre fold as issued.

Technique:

Hand coloured copper engraving.

Image Size: 

415mm 
x 370mm

Paper Size: 

530mm 
x 392mm
AUTHENTICITY
[Cochem] Exactissma Ciuitatis Monasteriensis in Cam - Antique View from 1597

Genuine antique
dated:

1597

Description:

Rare c.16th town plans of Cochem and Munstermaifeld, Germany from the famous series Civitates Orbis Terrarum (Cities of the World) by George Braun and Franz Hogenberg.

The dating of this issue is identified by the Latin text on the verso, and with the last line beginning with tinendumque and ending in pietatis.

Contemporary description by Braun; “Cochem was originally a castle on a high mountain beside a deep valley, through which the Moselle flows along the left-hand side. This castle, which is very well protected by its natural location and by walls and ramparts, dates from the Roman Empire.”

Cochem is presented from the east, from the right bank of the Moselle. With its 11th-century fortress high overhead, the town, which is first mentioned in records in AD 886, is considered one of the loveliest on the Moselle. The half timbered houses of the Old Town and the parish church of St Martin, originally founded by the Franks, are rendered in loving detail. Here still visible on a hill on the far right is the Winneburg fortress from the second half of the 13th century, like Cochem castle, it was destroyed in the War of Palatine Succession, but in this case was not rebuilt. A number of the many city gates captioned in the engraving have survived right up to the present.

“A deed of donation by Pippin and Charlemagne mentions the church of St Martin in the village of Ambitio. There can be no doubt that it refers to this church, which was later invested with a very wealthy college and became known under the slightly different name of the Maifeld minster.” (Taschen)

In contrast to Cochem, Münstermaifeld – granted the right to hold a market in AD 965 and a municipal charter in 1277 – is presented in a bird’s-eye view from the northwest. Clearly recognizable is the former Gothic collegiate church of SS Martin and Severus with its well-fortified west end (G). From 956 it housed the relics of St Severus, which made Münstermaifeld a pelgrimage centre. Many of the historical buildings survive in their original state even today, including the medieval town hall (O), vestiges of the city wall and the provostry (L), today the museum of local history and culture. Münstermaifeld is also known due to its proximity to Eltz castle, one of the loviest in Germany. (Taschen)In contrast to Cochem, Münstermaifeld – granted the right to hold a market in AD 965 and a municipal charter in 1277 – is presented in a bird’s-eye view from the northwest. Clearly recognizable is the former Gothic collegiate church of SS Martin and Severus with its well-fortified west end (G). From 956 it housed the relics of St Severus, which made Münstermaifeld a pelgrimage centre. Many of the historical buildings survive in their original state even today, including the medieval town hall (O), vestiges of the city wall and the provostry (L), today the museum of local history and culture. Münstermaifeld is also known due to its proximity to Eltz castle, one of the loviest in Germany. (Taschen p.376)

References:
Kroght, P. Koeman's Atlantes Neerlandici. Amsterdam 1997. Nine volumes.: 4.p.167, 241 (1597/97).
Braun/Hogenberg, Cities of the World. Taschen, Cologne 2017: p.376.


Collections:
Rijksmuseum Amsterdam: Object number RP-P-AO-20-25
Royal Collection Trust UK: RCIN 1124653
State Library New South Wales: CALL NUMBER T/RAV/FM4/2 (1599)

Franz Hogenberg (1541 - 1622)

Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker, born in Mechelen a. In 1568 he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He is best known for his work on the monumental series of town views, Civitates orbis terrarium. Georg Braun (1541-1622) Braun was the principal editor of Civitates orbis terrarium, he acquired the tables, hired the artists, and wrote the texts.

View other items by Franz Hogenberg

Geogre Braun (154 - 1622)

Braun was the principal editor of Civitates orbis terrarium, he acquired the tables, hired the artists, and wrote the texts. Franz Hogenberg (1535–1590) Hogenberg was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker, born in Mechelen a. In 1568 he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He is best known for his work on the monumental series of town views, Civitates orbis terrarium.

View other items by Geogre Braun

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.