Rest of the World
Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide
Rare, early real estate poster for the sale of Cranbrook Estate, dated Saturday, 1st December, 1917. The estate extended from Victoria Avenue, New South Head Rd and Gallipoli Avenue which was renamed in 1926 to Rose Bay Avenue. Leading up … Read Full Description
Rest of the World
Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide
Rare, early real estate poster for the sale of Cranbrook Estate, dated Saturday, 1st December, 1917.
The estate extended from Victoria Avenue, New South Head Rd and Gallipoli Avenue which was renamed in 1926 to Rose Bay Avenue.
Leading up to the Federation of Australia, there was a fierce competition between Sydney and Melbourne to become the national capital. Eventually, a compromise was reached: the federal capital would be established in rural New South Wales, which later became Canberra. During the interim period, federal parliament would convene in Melbourne, and the Governor-General would reside in Melbourne as well.
However, many in Sydney remained skeptical about the establishment of the federal capital and were concerned that Melbourne might become the default national capital, to the social and economic detriment of Sydney. To grant Sydney a more prominent role in the new federation, it was proposed that the Governor-General should have a residence in Sydney, and Government House was considered the most suitable option for this purpose. This proposal was made in response to Victoria’s offer to use their Government House in Melbourne. Ultimately, a compromise was reached, wherein the Governor-General would have official residences in both Sydney and Melbourne. The intention was for the Melbourne Government House to be used while parliament was in session, and the Sydney Government House would serve the purpose when parliament was not in session.
With the matter of the Governor-General’s residence resolved, the New South Wales government leased Cranbrook from Captain Scott for five years to serve as the residence for the Governor of New South Wales. In October 1906, the government attempted to extend the lease, but Captain Scott was unwilling, as he preferred to sell or subdivide the property. Eventually, Captain Scott agreed to extend the lease for one more year, but at a significantly higher rent. Afterward, the government purchased the property for £22,500.
In 1917 the NSW Government put Cranbrook up for auction. Three Governors occupied “Cranbrook” during the Vice-Regal years, Admiral Sir Harry Rawson (1902 –1909), Lord Chelmsford (1909 – 1913) and Sir Gerald Strickland (1913 – 1917). Cranbrook School later named three of their Houses after these Governors. After the State Government failed to find another use for the site, the Cranbrook Estate was subdivided and auctioned on 1 December 1917. Covenants ensured that no “wooden residences or terrace buildings”, or hotels, stores or dairies could be built on the sites. As part of the subdivision, a strip of land was resumed to widen New South Head Road and a new road, Gallipoli Avenue (later known as Rose Bay Avenue) was constructed between Victoria Road and New South Head Road, following the line of the New South Head Road entrance driveway.
In 1917 a group of businessmen associated with St Marks Church in Darling Point formed a Provisional Committee, with the goal of establishing a boys’ school, based on Church of England principles, in the eastern suburbs. Following a suggestion by the Diocesan Architect John Burcham Clamp, it was agreed to bid for “Cranbrook”, with a deposit lent by Samuel Hordern (later Sir Samuel Hordern). Samuel Hordern was successful with a bid at the auction of ₤20,000 for Lot 1. William Bede Williamson, an estate agent, bid for Lot 9 (₤1,690) and Lots 10 and 11 (₤2,400). Annie Buchanan, wife of grazier Andrew Buchanan bid for Lot 12 (₤1,300) and William Johnson, a merchant, bid for Lot 13 (₤1,487 10 shillings). In May and June 1918 Samuel Hordern successfully negotiated with these bidders to assign their purchase rights over to the school (all except Lot 9). In July 1918 when Cranbrook School was incorporated and registered as a company, it was recognised as the purchaser of these properties, and also purchased Lots 14 to 18 from the government (for a total cost of ₤15,587 10 shillings). Enid Friend, the wife of grazier Owen Friend, purchased Lots 19 and 20.21 Hordern agreed to sell part of Lot 1 (the New South Head frontage below the stables) for ₤1,500, to increase her holding. The school was also registered as the owner of Lot 7 (on the other side of Gallipoli Avenue) in 1923, although this land was not used as part of the school campus.
The Minister for Public Works released Cranbrook School from the covenant that their site could be used only for residential purposes, and the property became Cranbrook School. The school was officially opened by the State Governor Sir Walter Davidson on 22 July 1918, and it was noted that nearly all the great English public schools had been started in a time of war or difficulty.
In July 1918 Cranbrook School was officially opened.
source Urbis & Cranbrook School
Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.
Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.