C1864

Melbourne Heads-View of Queenscliff.

Rare colonial engraving of Queenscliff in 1864, showing Fort Queenscliff. This first settlement was proclaimed at Queenscliff on 23 June 1853, and two months later the first town lots were sold. Prior to these developments, between 1838 and 1843, pilot … Read Full Description

$A 245

S/N: ISN-VC-641216005–221523
(C045)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Melbourne Heads-View of Queenscliff.

Date:

C1864

Artist:

Unknown

Condition:

In good condition.

Technique:

Hand coloured engraving.

Image Size: 

375mm 
x 185mm
AUTHENTICITY
Melbourne Heads-View of Queenscliff. - Antique View from 1864

Genuine antique
dated:

1864

Description:

Rare colonial engraving of Queenscliff in 1864, showing Fort Queenscliff.

This first settlement was proclaimed at Queenscliff on 23 June 1853, and two months later the first town lots were sold. Prior to these developments, between 1838 and 1843, pilot operations had begun, a grazing lease had been granted, and a lighthouse had been established in the area. In 1853–54, cottages for the pilots and a house for the Health Officer at the Quarantine Station were built in Gellibrand Street, and a Customs Officer was appointed. A church and school, the first hotel and a second lighthouse were also built. The telegraph office was built and began operations in January 1855. The pilots’ cottages were mainly occupied by the Health Officer and Customs boat crews because the pilots preferred to live elsewhere, and they commissioned some of the first private dwellings in the town. In the next few years development continued, and more houses, shops and hotels were built. By the time the Borough was incorporated in 1863, Hesse Street was established as the main street of the town, and Queenscliff boasted five hotels, a library and cricket and recreation reserves. In addition, there was a lifeboat and a jetty, and small steamers began offering trips around the Bay. The Presbyterian church had been opened, a Church of England was being created, and a site had been selected for the Roman Catholic church.

From the original edition of the Illustrated Sydney News. 

Collections:
State Library Victoria: PCINF IMP 24-12-63 P.4

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.