C1885

St. Leonards Parish of Willoughby

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Rare detailed map of St Leonards from Higinbotham and Robinson’s, Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney, shows the municipality of St Leonards with its four wards at a scale of 1:27720  with a north arrow that includes the monogram HR (for Higinbotham … Read Full Description

Sold

S/N: AOTSOS-017-TP–227302
(C026)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

St. Leonards Parish of Willoughby

Date:

C1885

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Condition:

Slight fraying to lower right margin, otherwise in good condition. With narrow lower right margin otherwise in good condition

Technique:

Lithograph printed in colour.

Image Size: 

350mm 
x 230mm
AUTHENTICITY
St. Leonards Parish of Willoughby - Antique Map from 1885

Genuine antique
dated:

1885

Description:

Rare detailed map of St Leonards from Higinbotham and Robinson’s, Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney, shows the municipality of St Leonards with its four wards at a scale of 1:27720  with a north arrow that includes the monogram HR (for Higinbotham and Robinson) inside a conventional garter band with the Latin motto fiat lux. This phrase from the Vulgate Bible (Genesis 1:3) is normally translated as ‘let there be light’ and is used commonly to suggest the pursuit or sharing of knowledge.

St Leonards was constituted in 1867 with an area of 15.8 square kilometres, which includes the modern suburbs of Cammeray, Mosman, Waverton, Wollstonecraft and parts of Cremorne, Neutral Bay, North Sydney and Crows Nest. In 1890 the municipalities of St Leonards, East St Leonards and Victoria merged to form the municipality of North Sydney and three years later Mosman became a separate municipality.

Mapmaker:

The complicated history of the business of Higinbotham and partners, reflects the difficulties encountered by many private map publishers in colonial Australia, attempting to fill the demand for maps for newly created  municipalities that the government were unwilling to provide.

Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison were establish in 1882 and operated from Macquarie Place, in 1885 they were at 99 Pitt Street, and in 1887 Higginbotham had obtained permission to produce maps from government survey information but in the same year Harrison withdrew from the partnership. By April 1888 Higinbotham and Robinson was declared bankrupt, among the assets listed for sale were a stock of maps and the rights to 21 real estate maps of municipalities, which presumably represents the firm’s output to this time.

After being discharged from bankruptcy Higinbotham and Robinson continued in business together and by 1891 they were operating from 62 Elizabeth Street and nearby Wentworth Court. In 1895 Herbert Robinson set up on his own, operating as HEC Robinson, and developed a very successful business publishing maps and directories until his death in 1933.

With Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison

1882-1885 –  Macquarie Place 

1885-1886 – 99 Pitt Street (late 1886)        

With Higinbotham and Robinson 

1886-1888 –  99 Pitt Street  (from late 1886)

1889-1894 –  62 Elizabeth Street–Wentworth Court

Reference: Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney by Andrew Wilson, 2012

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.