C1889

Hunters Hill Parish of Hunters Hill.

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Rare detailed map of Hunters Hill from Higinbotham and Robinson’s, Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney, shows the municipality with its three wards at a scale of 1:7920 with a north arrow that includes the monogram HR (for Higinbotham and Robinson) inside … Read Full Description

Sold

S/N: AOTSOS-011-TP–227306
(C026)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Hunters Hill Parish of Hunters Hill.

Date:

C1889

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Condition:

In good condition. With narrow lower right margin otherwise in good condition

Technique:

Lithograph printed in colour.

Image Size: 

355mm 
x 230mm
AUTHENTICITY
Hunters Hill Parish of Hunters Hill. - Antique Print from 1889

Genuine antique
dated:

1889

Description:

Rare detailed map of Hunters Hill from Higinbotham and Robinson’s, Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney, shows the municipality with its three wards at a scale of 1:7920 with a north arrow that includes the monogram HR (for Higinbotham and Robinson) inside a conventional garter band with the Latin motto fiat lux. This phrase from the Vulgate Bible (Genesis 1:3) is normally translated as ‘let there be light’ and is used commonly to suggest the pursuit or sharing of knowledge.

Hunters Hill was constituted in 1861 with an area of 5.7 square kilometres, which includes the modern suburbs of Hunters Hill, Woolwich, Huntleys Point, Tarban, Henley and part of Gladesville. The municipality remains one of the smallest and least altered local government areas in Sydney.

Biography:

The complicated history of the business of Higinbotham and partners, reflects the difficulties encountered by many private map publishers in colonial Australia, attempting to fill the demand for maps for newly created  municipalities that the government were unwilling to provide.

Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison were establish in 1882 and operated from Macquarie Place, in 1885 they were at 99 Pitt Street, and in 1887 Higginbotham had obtained permission to produce maps from government survey information but in the same year Harrison withdrew from the partnership. By April 1888 Higinbotham and Robinson was declared bankrupt, among the assets listed for sale were a stock of maps and the rights to 21 real estate maps of municipalities, which presumably represents the firm’s output to this time.

After being discharged from bankruptcy Higinbotham and Robinson continued in business together and by 1891 they were operating from 62 Elizabeth Street and nearby Wentworth Court. In 1895 Herbert Robinson set up on his own, operating as HEC Robinson, and developed a very successful business publishing maps and directories until his death in 1933.

With Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison

1882-1885 –  Macquarie Place 

1885-1886 – 99 Pitt Street (late 1886)        

 

With Higinbotham and Robinson 

1886-1888 –  99 Pitt Street  (from late 1886)

1889-1894 –  62 Elizabeth Street–Wentworth Court

Reference:

Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney by Andrew Wilson, 2012

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.