C1825

Nouvelle-Hollande: Port Jackson.Vue de L'Eglise de Parramatta en 1819. Port-Jackson. Vue de la Maison du Gouverneur, a Parramatta.

Artist:

Marchais

Views of Government House, Parramatta and St John’s Church sold as a pair. Government house Old Government House, Parramatta is Australia’s oldest public building and the residence of the first ten Governors of NSW. Governor Hunter built the central portion … Read Full Description

Sold

S/N: VADM-095–220303
(FR)
Categories:
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Nouvelle-Hollande: Port Jackson.Vue de L’Eglise de Parramatta en 1819. Port-Jackson. Vue de la Maison du Gouverneur, a Parramatta.

Date:

C1825

Artist:

Marchais

Condition:

Minor tear on RHS margin, otherwise in good condition.

Technique:

Hand coloured copper engraving.

Image Size: 

230mm 
x 320mm

Frame Size: 

470mm 
x 400mm
AUTHENTICITY
Nouvelle-Hollande: Port Jackson.Vue de L'Eglise de Parramatta en 1819. Port-Jackson. Vue de la Maison du Gouverneur, a Parramatta. - Antique Print from 1825

Genuine antique
dated:

1825

Description:

Views of Government House, Parramatta and St John’s Church sold as a pair. Government house Old Government House, Parramatta is Australia’s oldest public building and the residence of the first ten Governors of NSW. Governor Hunter built the central portion and Governor and Mrs Macquarie extended the house in 1815 which were designed by Lieutenant John Watts. The central block of the house was built in 1799 by Governor John Hunter, however the appearance of the house today is largely thanks to Governor and Mrs Macquarie. Their 1815 extensions, designed by Macquarie’s Aide, Lieutenant John Watts, transformed the house into an elegant Palladian style residence in the English manner. The original church building for St John’s which occupied the present site of the Church Street Mall, was opened in 1803. The twin towers which stand today were constructed by 1818 making them the oldest surviving part of any Anglican Church in Australia. In the early 1850s the original building with exception of the towers was demolished after a severe storm. From Louis Claude de S. de Freycinet’s, “Voyage autour du Monde… Historique”. Note the Historique which contained the topographical views volume was published in 1828. Rare.

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.