C1778

Pondicherry. [Puducherry]

Mapmaker:

Rare C18th map of the siege of Pondicherry, now known as Puducherry. The French East India Company established Pondicherry as their headquarters in 1674. The town was separated by a canal into the French Quarter and Indian Quarter. During the Anglo-French … Read Full Description

Sold

S/N: HMTR-3644-ASI-IND–231359
(F07)
Categories: ,
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Pondicherry. [Puducherry]

Date:

C1778

Mapmaker:

Condition:

In good condition, with folds as issued.

Technique:

Hand coloured copper engraving.

Image Size: 

292mm 
x 230mm

Paper Size: 

408mm 
x 268mm

Platemark Size: 

303mm 
x 235mm
AUTHENTICITY
Pondicherry. [Puducherry] - Antique Map from 1778

Genuine antique
dated:

1778

Description:

Rare C18th map of the siege of Pondicherry, now known as Puducherry.
The French East India Company established Pondicherry as their headquarters in 1674. The town was separated by a canal into the French Quarter and Indian Quarter. During the Anglo-French wars (1742–1763). In 1761 the British captured it from the French but it was returned to the French as part of the Treaty of Paris (1763) at the conclusion of the Seven Years’ War. The British took control of the area again in 1793 at the Siege of Pondicherry amid the Wars of the French Revolution, and returned it to France in 1814. When the British gained control of the whole of India in the late 1850s, they allowed the French to retain their settlements in the country. 

Mapmaker:

Sir John Call (1732–1801) 

Call was first baronet, of Whiteford, Cornwall and an military engineer in India.

When about seventeen he was recommended to the notice of Benjamin Robins, the celebrated mathematician, who at that time received the appointment of chief-engineer and captain-general of artillery in the East India Company’s settlements. Robins left England in 1749, and arrived at Fort William in July 1750, bringing with him eight young writers, one of whom was Call, who acted as his secretary. Robins having died in July 1751, and war having commenced with the powers on the coast of Coromandel, Call, who was appointed a writer on the Madras establishment that year, was employed in the capacity of engineer to carry on the erection of the defensive works at Fort St. David. 
In the beginning of 1752 he accompanied Captain (afterwards Lord) Clive on an expedition against the French, who had possessed themselves of the province of Arcot, and were plundering up to the very gates of Madras. After the great successes achieved by Clive, the army marched back to Fort St. David, where Call received the appointment of engineer-in-chief before he had attained his twentieth year. He retained that situation until 1757, when he was appointed chief-engineer at Madras, and soon after of all the Coromandel coast. 
During the greater part of the war against Hyder Ali in 1767–8 Call was with the army in the Mysore. In 1768 he was appointed a member of the governor’s council, and soon after was advanced by the East India Company, in recognition of his general services, from the fourth to the third seat in council. He was strongly recommended by Clive to succeed to the government of Madras on the first opportunity, but having received news of his father’s death, he determined to return home, although strongly urged by Clive to remain. 

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.