Rest of the World
Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide
Very rare engraved view of a scene on the Mummel Estate near Goulburn. Mummel was granted to John Dickson of Sussex Street, Sydney who also held the grant of Nonorrah on The Northern Road at Bringelly. Dickson owned a number … Read Full Description
Rest of the World
Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide
Very rare engraved view of a scene on the Mummel Estate near Goulburn.
Mummel was granted to John Dickson of Sussex Street, Sydney who also held the grant of Nonorrah on The Northern Road at Bringelly. Dickson owned a number of properties in the County of Cumberland which were part of the Cowpastures district and they were: Netherbyres, Orielton, Moorfield and Eastwood. Together together formed a line from Bringelly Road in the north to beyond Cobbitty Road in the south. At the 1828 Census Dickson listed his properties at 17,000 acres in the Counties of Cumberland and Argyle of which 15,000 was cleared and 150 acres under cultivation. On these properties he had 3000 cattle and 2000 sheep. Dickson also held 800 acres in Mummel Parish called Evandale.
John Dickson (1774-1843), engineer, manufacturer, and grazier. In 1798 Dickson took out his first patent ‘for steam-engines, pumps, and other hydraulic machines’ and about this time moved from Dockhead to Narrow Wall, Lambeth, on the Thames. He began to manufacture steam engines and in 1808 took out a second patent for ‘a stopcock or valve for fluids’, or more particularly for steam. In 1811 he had premises in Maid Lane, Southwark. When he applied for permission to settle in New South Wales the Colonial Office informed Governor Lachlan Macquarie in March 1813 that Dickson was ‘an excellent Engineer and Millwright‘ and was to be given a town grant in Sydney and land in the interior proportionate to his capital. He arrived in Sydney in the Earl Spencer in October 1813 bringing goods and machinery valued at about £10,000, including a steam-engine from his Southwark manufactory, tools and turning lathes worth £5200. Among his apprentices was Thomas Barker. ‘Having brought a Considerable Capital with him, and being of an Enterprizing Spirit and persevering Industry, I look upon Mr. Dickson as a very great Acquisition to the Colony’, wrote Macquarie in April 1814 when he reported to London that he had granted Dickson fifteen acres (6 ha) in the town for his steam mill and 3000 acres (1214 ha) on South Creek, at Bringelly, near Camden, as a grazing farm. The steam-engine was erected at the town grant on Cockle Bay (Darling Harbour), on a site commanding a water conveyance of grain, timber and firewood.
From the original edition of The Illustrated Sydney News.
Gibbs & Shallard. Illustrated Sydney News. ISSN 2203-5397.
State Library New South Wales: F8/39-40
State Library Victoria: PCINF SLVIC=1853-1872
National Library Australia: Bib ID 440095
John Rider Roberts (1820 - 1868)
Roberts was a landscape painter, illustrator, surveyor and architect. He was firstly in partnership with Henry Haege as surveyors, civil engineers and architects. One of Roberts’s major artistic activities was 'improving’ the survey plans he and Haege provided for land auctioneers by adding topographical views of the areas up for subdivision. Roberts was closely associated with the Illustrated Sydney News up until his death. He provided many topographical drawings and was head of the art department. Roberts also 'tidied up’ drawings from less competent artists before the woodblocks were made. Roberts seems to have been the last of the many proprietors in partnership with its longstanding engraver, printer and publisher, W.G. Mason. Listed as a painter, architect and surveyor of Hordern Street, Newtown, in 1867, John R. Roberts died of 'dropsy’ on 30 June 1868.
View other items by John Rider Roberts
Walter George Mason (1820 - 1866)
Mason was born in London, the second son of Abraham John Mason, a well-known wood engraver and lecturer. Walter’s father began teaching him the art of wood-engraving when the family lived in New York in the 1830’s. Walter was sent back to London to train under Mr G. Bonner before 1839. In England, Walter Mason became very well known as a wood engraver and worked with The Illustrated London News, Punch, Pictorial Times, The Art Journal,and other periodicals. Walter’s brothers, George and Charles, had immigrated to Australia in about 1850 and worked in Sydney as wood engravers.It seems likely that they encouraged Walter to join them. In 1852 Walter and his family left England for Australia, arriving in Sydney via the Windsor on 4 November 1852. Soon after his arrival in Sydney, Mason became involved in the founding of The Illustrated Sydney News.Despite a small permanent staff and the fact that 4000 copies of the first issue were sold at sixpence a copy, the paper had financial problems from the beginning. Over a few months in 1854, five of the original proprietors left the partnership and Walter Mason became printer and publisher. Despite engraving illustrations for a large number of newspapers, books and magazines, Walter was in financial difficulties for most of his time in Sydney.
Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.
Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.