Detailed map of Canberra and its environs dated April 1920 with numerous panel of notes at lower right.
The federal legislature moved to Canberra on 9 May 1927, with the opening of the Provisional Parliament House. Planned development of the city slowed significantly during the depression of the 1930's and during World War II. From 1920 to 1957, three bodies, successively the Federal Capital Advisory Committee, the Federal Capital Commission, and the National Capital Planning and Development Committee continued to plan the further expansion of Canberra in the absence of Griffin however, they were only advisory, and development decisions were made without consulting them, increasing inefficiency.
National Library of Australia: Bib ID1308805