C1893

Map of the Town of West Maitland Parish of Maitland Parish of Maitland County of Northumberland, Shewing the Crown Grants, Private Subdivisions, &c., Compiled from the Latest Government & Private Surveys & Published by the Proprietors Higinbot

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Rare detailed map of Maitland showing streets, allotments and names of owners. A note at lower right states ‘..it is hoped that the Information now supplied will be of great service to those interested in dealing with Real Estate at … Read Full Description

Sold

Sold

S/N: NSW-1893-HIGI–193573
(RW)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Map of the Town of West Maitland Parish of Maitland Parish of Maitland County of Northumberland, Shewing the Crown Grants, Private Subdivisions, &c., Compiled from the Latest Government & Private Surveys & Published by the Proprietors Higinbot

Date:

C1893

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Condition:

Minor repairs to folds, otherwise in good condition, laid onto archival linen

Technique:

Lithograph printed in colour.

Image Size: 

700mm 
x 510mm
AUTHENTICITY
Map of the Town of West Maitland Parish of Maitland Parish of Maitland County of Northumberland, Shewing the Crown Grants, Private Subdivisions, &c., Compiled from the Latest Government & Private Surveys & Published by the Proprietors Higinbot - Antique Map from 1893

Genuine antique
dated:

1893

Description:

Rare detailed map of Maitland showing streets, allotments and names of owners. A note at lower right states ‘..it is hoped that the Information now supplied will be of great service to those interested in dealing with Real Estate at West Maitland’. With monogram at top right ‘HR’ with the words ‘Fiat Lux’ meaning ‘Let There be Light’. Although we know that Higinbotham and Robinson advertised numerous maps of Sydney suburbs and regional towns, we have rarely seen examples of these for sale.

Mapmaker:

The complicated history of the
business of Higinbotham and partners, reflects the difficulties
encountered by many private map publishers in colonial Australia,
attempting to fill the demand for maps for newly created  municipalities
that the government were unwilling to provide.

Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison were establish in
1882 and operated from Macquarie Place, in 1885 they were at 99 Pitt
Street, and in 1887 Higginbotham had obtained permission to produce maps
from government survey information but in the same year Harrison
withdrew from the partnership. By April 1888 Higinbotham and Robinson
was declared bankrupt, among the assets listed for sale were a stock of
maps and the rights to 21 real estate maps of municipalities, which
presumably represents the firm’s output to this time.

After being discharged from bankruptcy Higinbotham
and Robinson continued in business together and by 1891 they were
operating from 62 Elizabeth Street and nearby Wentworth Court. In 1895
Herbert Robinson set up on his own, operating as HEC Robinson, and
developed a very successful business publishing maps and directories
until his death in 1933.

With Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison

1882-1885 –  Macquarie Place 

1885-1886 – 99 Pitt Street (late 1886)        

 With Higinbotham and Robinson 

1886-1888 –  99 Pitt Street  (from late 1886)

1889-1894 –  62 Elizabeth Street–Wentworth Court

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.