C1880

The Fortifications, South Head Battery.

Colonial engraving of the fortifications on South Head. Following the departure of British troops from the colony in 1870, work resumed on fortifications at South Head in 1871, and by 1874 there was actual artillery in place. This consisted of … Read Full Description

$A 125

S/N: NS-1880-TG-045B–225271
(B005)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

The Fortifications, South Head Battery.

Date:

C1880

Artist:

Unknown

Condition:

In good condition

Technique:

Hand coloured engraving.

Image Size: 

230mm 
x 150mm
AUTHENTICITY
The Fortifications, South Head Battery. - Antique View from 1880

Genuine antique
dated:

1880

Description:

Colonial engraving of the fortifications on South Head.

Following the departure of British troops from the colony in 1870, work resumed on fortifications at South Head in 1871, and by 1874 there was actual artillery in place. This consisted of three 10-inch, two 9-inch and five 80-pounder guns, supplemented in 1878 by torpedo firing stations at Green Point, south of Camp Cove. A ‘Government Road to the battery’ existed from the 1850s, from Watsons Bay to Inner South Head. Around 1880 a cobblestone road was constructed from Camp Cove to take equipment landed there by boat up to the fortifications above. Reference; Dictionary of Sydney

From the original edition of the Graphic.

Collections:
Australian National Maritime Museum: Object No: 00039574

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.