C1848

Hunter

Early county map of  part of the Hunter Valley, New South Wales made to provide information for prospective immigrants.

$A 55

S/N: WAGD-208-NSW–188874
( LF12)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Hunter

Date:

C1848

Condition:

In good condition.

Technique:

Lithograph, with original hand colouring.

Image Size: 

110mm 
x 180mm

Paper Size: 

135mm 
x 220mm
AUTHENTICITY
Hunter - Antique Map from 1848

Genuine antique
dated:

1848

Description:

Early county map of  part of the Hunter Valley, New South Wales made to provide information for prospective immigrants.

References:
Tooley, R.V. The Mapping of Australia. London 1979: 1350.
Ferguson, J. A. Bibliography of Australia Volumes 1-8, Canberra 1976: 4949.


Collections:
State Library New South Wales: MMS ID 991001180799702626
State Library Victoria: RARELT 919.4 W46G
National Library Australia: Bib ID 2565538

John Allan (1845 - 1883)

Allan was a Sydney engraver, lithographer and printer. Also produced music, seals, views by Samuel Thomas Gill. Allan was the son of Alexander Allan of Bonnygate, Cupar, Fifeshire, Scotland, whose death in June 1863 was announced in the Sydney Morning Herald 21 Aug 1863 and may probably be identified with the John Allan born 9 Apr 1822 and baptised at Dysart, Fife, 5 May 1822 the son of Alexander Allan and his wife Mary Skinner. He commenced in business with an announcement in the same newspaper on 1 Jul 1845, advertising seal and copperplate engraving, as well as lithographic printing. He advertised his engraving business in “Low’s directory of the city and district of Sydney” for 1846 in the following terms: “Engraving. John Allan, in returning his sincere thanks to his friends and the public generally, for past favors, respectfully solicits a continuance of the same. His move to “more eligible premises” in Hunter Street was announced in the Sydney Morning Herald 8 Apr 1847. He traded with William Hankinson Wigley as “Allan & Wigley” from 1 Jan 1855 to the end of 1867. The firm’s move from Bridge Street to George Street was announced inThe Empireand other newspapers in July 1858. The partnership was dissolved 1 Jan 1868, Wigley taking over and changing the name to “W. H. Wigley & Co”. In later life Allan concentrated on seal engraving and died at Sydney 22 Oct 1883, reportedly aged fifty-seven. He was buried at Rookwood. Business addresses; 1845 - York Street, near the Barrack Gate, Sydney 1846 - Bridge Street, Sydney 1846-1847 81 King Street West, Sydney 1847 2 Hunter Street, Sydney 1850-1852 2 Bridge Street, Sydney 1855-1858 23 Bridge Street, Sydney 1858-1867 297 George Street, opposite the Empire Office, Sydney 1861 287 Macquarie Street, Sydney (home)

View other items by John Allan

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.