C1877

Opening of the Glenelg Institute, S.A.

Interesting image of the Glenelg Townhall when it was known as the Glenelg Institute Building. The Glenelg Town Hall was designed by Edmund Wright, architect and former Mayor of Adelaide. The foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1875 by … Read Full Description

$A 325

S/N: IAN-SA-771128188–215523
(C059)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Opening of the Glenelg Institute, S.A.

Date:

C1877

Artist:

Unknown

Condition:

In good condition

Technique:

Hand coloured engraving.

Image Size: 

225mm 
x 165mm
AUTHENTICITY
Opening of the Glenelg Institute, S.A. - Antique View from 1877

Genuine antique
dated:

1877

Description:

Interesting image of the Glenelg Townhall when it was known as the Glenelg Institute Building. The Glenelg Town Hall was designed by Edmund Wright, architect and former Mayor of Adelaide. The foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1875 by Sir Henry Ayers and the Institute formally opened in 1877. The building had a grand main entrance on the western frontage and a tower to take in the panoramic view of the ocean and surrounds. A cupola was later added to house the clock donated by Mayor Thomas King in 1884. In 1887 the building became the Glenelg Town Hall.

From the original edition of The Illustrated Australian News.

Collections:
State Library Victoria: Accession no: IAN28/11/77/188

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.