C1763-1778

Plan of the Fronts of Fort St. George attacked by Mr. Lally from the 14th of December 1758, to the 16th of February 1759, with part of the Black Town.

Rare c.18th plan of Fort St. George Fort St. George in the coastal city of Chennai, India. It was built in 1639, and was the first English fortress in India. It was attacked by the French in the siege of … Read Full Description

$A 750

In stock

S/N: HMTR-3454-ASI-INDI–447043
(LF04)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Plan of the Fronts of Fort St. George attacked by Mr. Lally from the 14th of December 1758, to the 16th of February 1759, with part of the Black Town.

Date:

C1763-1778

Condition:

In good condition, with folds as issued.

Technique:

Hand coloured copper engraving.

Image Size: 

355mm 
x 405mm

Paper Size: 

452mm 
x 500mm
AUTHENTICITY
Plan of the Fronts of Fort St. George attacked by Mr. Lally from the 14th of December 1758, to the 16th of February 1759, with part of the Black Town. - Antique Map from 1763-1778

Guaranteed Vintage Item
dated:

1763-1778

Description:

Rare c.18th plan of Fort St. George Fort St. George in the coastal city of Chennai, India. It was built in 1639, and was the first English fortress in India.

It was attacked by the French in the siege of Madras, which was then under British rule, between December 1758 and February 1759. The French forces were under the command of Comte de Lally during the Seven Years’ War. The British garrison was able to hold out until it was relieved.

The fort was strategically positioned to face the sea and the neighbouring fishing villages, and it rapidly became the centre of trade activity. This led to the development of a new settlement area called George Town, historically referred to as Black Town. George Town gradually expanded and encompassed the surrounding villages, eventually becoming the city of Madras. The establishment of the fort also helped to strengthen English influence over the Carnatic region and deterred the kings of Arcot and Srirangapatna and the French forces based at Pondichéry.

This is the early edition of this map which was later reprinted by Athenaeum Press, 1861/1862

Karunguli is located in the region of Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu’s capital Chennai is approximately 74 km / 46 mi away from Karunguli

From: Orme, Robert [1728-1801]. A History Of The Military Transactions Of The British Nation In Indostan, From The Year MDCCXLV. To Which Is Prefixed A Dissertation On The Establishments Made By Mahomedan Conquerors In Indostan. 

Collections:
National Library Australia: Bib ID 4729085
Manchester Library: MLSC ; R226582
State Library New South Wales: RECORD IDENTIFIER 74VvQOXjqLpb
State Library Victoria: RARES 954M OR5
State Library South Australia: 355.033054 b (Symon Library)

Sir John Call (1732 - 1801)

Call was first baronet, of Whiteford, Cornwall and an military engineer in India. When about seventeen he was recommended to the notice of Benjamin Robins, the celebrated mathematician, who at that time received the appointment of chief-engineer and captain-general of artillery in the East India Company's settlements. Robins left England in 1749, and arrived at Fort William in July 1750, bringing with him eight young writers, one of whom was Call, who acted as his secretary. Robins having died in July 1751, and war having commenced with the powers on the coast of Coromandel, Call, who was appointed a writer on the Madras establishment that year, was employed in the capacity of engineer to carry on the erection of the defensive works at Fort St. David. In the beginning of 1752 he accompanied Captain (afterwards Lord) Clive on an expedition against the French, who had possessed themselves of the province of Arcot, and were plundering up to the very gates of Madras. After the great successes achieved by Clive, the army marched back to Fort St. David, where Call received the appointment of engineer-in-chief before he had attained his twentieth year. He retained that situation until 1757, when he was appointed chief-engineer at Madras, and soon after of all the Coromandel coast. During the greater part of the war against Hyder Ali in 1767–8 Call was with the army in the Mysore. In 1768 he was appointed a member of the governor's council, and soon after was advanced by the East India Company, in recognition of his general services, from the fourth to the third seat in council. He was strongly recommended by Clive to succeed to the government of Madras on the first opportunity, but having received news of his father's death, he determined to return home, although strongly urged by Clive to remain.

View other items by Sir John Call

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Account Login

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.