C1871

Round the Camp Fire.

Scarce engraving bushmen around a campfire by the Australian artist Charles Douglas Richardson (1853-1932).

$A 195

S/N: AA-1871-RICH–380479
(dwr 01)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Round the Camp Fire.

Date:

C1871

Condition:

Wear to centre fold, otherwise in good condition.

Technique:

Engraving with one tint.

Image Size: 

238mm 
x 355mm

Paper Size: 

268mm 
x 400mm
AUTHENTICITY
Round the Camp Fire. - Antique Print from 1871

Genuine antique
dated:

1871

Description:

Scarce engraving bushmen around a campfire by the Australian artist Charles Douglas Richardson (1853-1932).

Charles Douglas Richardson (1853 - 1932)

Richardson was a painter and sculptor, who migrated in 1858 with his family to Victoria to join John's brother Thomas Elliott (1814-1869), Presbyterian minister and editor of the Portland Guardian. John Richardson set up a studio at Portland but moved to St Kilda, Melbourne, in 1860. Educated at Scotch College, Charles Douglas studied design at the School of Design, Carlton, from 1869. In 1871-73 (while apprenticed to the lithographers De Gruchy & Leigh) he studied at the National Gallery of Victoria's school of design under Thomas Clark and in 1878-80 under Oswald Campbell. In 1880 Richardson and Tom Roberts successfully pleaded for establishment of life classes. In 1877-81 Richardson exhibited paintings with the Victorian Academy of the Arts and completed lithographs for the Australian Pictorial Almanac (1880). In 1881 he went to London and enrolled in the Royal Academy of Arts schools next March for the six-year course. There he joined Roberts and Bertram Mackennal who at times shared his studio. Richardson won three prizes for design and sculpture in 1883 and 1884, including a second and third in the Armitage prizes. He exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1885 ('The Passing of Arthur' and the sculpture 'The Wheelwright') and in 1888 another sculpture 'Mother and Child'. That year he travelled to Italy and France. In 1889 he returned to Melbourne, exhibited academic paintings with the Victorian Artists' Society in May, and showed wax and painted impressions at the '9 x 5 Impressions' exhibition in August. In 1890-97 as director of the life class he taught at the V.A.S. and exhibited both painting and sculpture. With Margaret Baskerville, Web Gilbert and others in 1898 he founded the influential Yarra Sculptors' Society. A large bronze copy of John of Bologna's 'Mercury' was executed for the Melbourne Age in 1899 and his much praised 'The Cloud' in 1900. In 1902-06 he worked on his commission for a marble group, 'The Discovery of Gold' (Bendigo). He married Margaret Baskerville on 23 December 1914 at East Malvern, and they continued several joint pursuits, including illustrating a booklet for the Red Cross, To the Women of the Empire. A Tribute (1918). In 1922-24 they worked together on bas-reliefs, 'The Dance of the Hours', for the foyer of the Capitol Theatre, Melbourne. As well as teaching drawing and sculpture Richardson undertook several war memorials and produced several commemorative medals.

View other items by Charles Douglas Richardson

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.