C1893

Map of the County of Cumberland N.S.W.

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Very rare map of Sydney and environs, extending from Wiseman’s Ferry in the north to Bulli in the south and west to Mulgoa. The map includes roads, railway lines, tramways, towns, suburbs and heights at railways stations. There are numerous estates marked and places … Read Full Description

Sold

S/N: TP-NS-1890-HIGG–228911
(FLR)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Map of the County of Cumberland N.S.W.

Date:

C1893

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Condition:

Minor repairs to folds, otherwise in good condition. Laid onto archival linen.

Technique:

Lithograph printed in colour.

Image Size: 

590mm 
x 890mm

Frame Size: 

835mm 
x 1113mm
AUTHENTICITY
Map of the County of Cumberland N.S.W. - Antique Print from 1893

Genuine antique
dated:

1893

Description:

Very rare map of Sydney and environs, extending from Wiseman’s Ferry in the north to Bulli in the south and west to Mulgoa. The map includes roads, railway lines, tramways, towns, suburbs and heights at railways stations. There are numerous estates marked and places names that no longer exist or have been renamed. 

Shown is the 
private 
railway
 owned
 by

Benjamin 
Christian
 Simpson.
Simpson’s
 Railway
 Act
 was
 passed 
on 13
 June
 1893 which allowed a 
railway 
be 
built 
from
 Rosehill 
to 
Dural. 
The 
State 
Government 
took
 over
 Simpson’s
Railway
 in
 1901.

Biography:

The complicated history of the business of Higinbotham and partners, reflects the difficulties encountered by many private map publishers in colonial Australia, attempting to fill the demand for maps for newly created  municipalities that the government were unwilling to provide.

Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison were establish in 1882 and operated from Macquarie Place, in 1885 they were at 99 Pitt Street, and in 1887 Higginbotham had obtained permission to produce maps from government survey information but in the same year Harrison withdrew from the partnership. By April 1888 Higinbotham and Robinson was declared bankrupt, among the assets listed for sale were a stock of maps and the rights to 21 real estate maps of municipalities, which presumably represents the firm’s output to this time.

After being discharged from bankruptcy Higinbotham and Robinson continued in business together and by 1891 they were operating from 62 Elizabeth Street and nearby Wentworth Court. In 1895 Herbert Robinson set up on his own, operating as HEC Robinson, and developed a very successful business publishing maps and directories until his death in 1933.

With Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison

1882-1885 –  Macquarie Place 

1885-1886 – 99 Pitt Street (late 1886)        

 With Higinbotham and Robinson 

1886-1888 –  99 Pitt Street  (from late 1886)

1889-1894 –  62 Elizabeth Street–Wentworth Court

Reference: Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney by Andrew Wilson, 2012

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.