C1940

h-m-s-arethusa

Artist:

Eric Erskine Campbell Tufnell RN (1888 - 1979)

Watercolour by this well known English marine artist of H.M.S. Arethusa flying the St George’s Cross, prior to her refit which took place in 1941. HMS Arethusa was one of her class of light cruisers built for the Royal Navy. … Read Full Description

Sold

S/N: SHIP-1940–215923
Categories:
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

h-m-s-arethusa

Date:

C1940

Artist:

Eric Erskine Campbell Tufnell RN (1888 - 1979)

Condition:

In good condition, laid onto original card, minor mount burn to edges, otherwise in very good condition, with fresh strong colour.

Technique:

Original watercolour titled lower left and with artist monogram lower right.

Image Size: 

380mm 
x 260mm
AUTHENTICITY
h-m-s-arethusa - Vintage Print from 1940

Guaranteed Vintage Item
dated:

1940

Description:

Watercolour by this well known English marine artist of H.M.S. Arethusa flying the St George’s Cross, prior to her refit which took place in 1941. HMS Arethusa was one of her class of light cruisers built for the Royal Navy. Built by Chatham Dockyard, with the keel being laid down on 25 January 1933, she was launched on 6 March 1934, and commissioned 21 May 1935 by Captain Philip Vian. Arethusa was assigned to the 3rd Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean on completion, and was still there at the onset of World War II in September 1939. However, early in 1940 she and her sister HMS Penelope were recalled to the Home Fleet, where they formed the 2nd Cruiser Squadron with the remainder of the class. She participated in the Norwegian Campaign in April 1940, but on 8 May she joined the Nore Command, where she supported the defending forces in Calais and later aided the evacuations from French Atlantic ports. On 28 June 1940 she was a component of the newly formed Force &quotH&quot at Gibraltar, with whom she participated in the action against Vichy French forces at Mers el Kebir in July 1940. With Force &quotH&quot she took part in convoy protection patrols in the Atlantic and operated in the Mediterranean. During the Bismarck sortie in May 1941 she was employed in Iceland and Faroes waters, but by July she had returned to the Mediterranean, where she escorted Malta convoys and ran supply trips to the island herself. Towards the end of 1941 she returned to home waters and took part in the Lofoten raid in December, where she was damaged by near misses. After refit and repair at Chatham until April 1942, she returned to the Mediterranean in June 1942, where she joined the 15th Cruiser Squadron, operating mostly in support of the resupply of Malta. Position of Arethusa during the Invasion of Normandy While on Operation Stoneage, a torpedo from an Italian aircraft struck her on 18 November 1942 and caused heavy casualties. She received temporary repair work in Alexandria that lasted until 7 February 1943, after which she proceeded to Charleston Navy Yard, Charleston, South Carolina, USA, for full repair. These were completed by 15 December 1943, and the ship then returned to Britain. She did not become fully operational again until early June 1944, when she sailed for the invasion of Normandy, forming part of Force &quotD&quot off Sword Beach. She had the honour of carrying King George VI across the channel to Normandy, when he toured the beaches and visited the allied command headquarters. By January 1945, she was part of the 15th Cruiser Squadron with the Mediterranean Fleet and stayed there until October 1945 when she returned to the United Kingdom and was immediately placed in the reserve (at the Nore). There was a tentative plan to sell her to the Royal Norwegian Navy in 1946 but this came to nothing and she was placed in category ‘B’ reserve. Because the Navy considered her class of ships too small to be worth modernising, the Navy used Arethusa for trials and experiments in 1949 before allocating her to BISCO for disposal. On 9 May 1950, she arrived at Cashmore’s, Newport, for breaking up. Arethusa was a mythological nymph favored by Artemis and loved by the river god Alpheus. While Arethusa was bathing in his stream, Alpheus rose up and tried to abduct her, but she fled under the ocean to the isle of Ortygia. There Artemis changed her into a fountain. But Alpheus followed her and was himself changed into a river and united with her.

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.