C1889

Enfield Parish of Concord.

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Rare detailed map of Enfield from Higinbotham and Robinson’s, Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney, the map shows the municipality at a scale of 1:11880 with a north arrow that includes the monogram HR (for Higinbotham and Robinson) inside a conventional garter band with the … Read Full Description

$A 550

In stock

S/N: AOTSOS-009-TP–202114
(C026)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Enfield Parish of Concord.

Date:

C1889

Mapmaker:

Higinbotham & Robinson

Condition:

In good condition

Technique:

Lithograph with original hand colouring.

Image Size: 

355mm 
x 235mm
AUTHENTICITY
Enfield Parish of Concord. - Antique Map from 1889

Genuine antique
dated:

1889

Description:

Rare detailed map of Enfield from Higinbotham and Robinson’s, Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney, the map shows the municipality at a scale of 1:11880 with a north arrow that includes the monogram HR (for Higinbotham and Robinson) inside a conventional garter band with the Latin motto fiat lux. This phrase from the Vulgate Bible (Genesis 1:3) is normally translated as ‘let there be light’ and is used commonly to suggest the pursuit or sharing of knowledge.

Enfield was constituted in 1889 with an area of 3.6 square kilometres, which includes the modern suburbs of Enfield, Burwood Heights and parts of Croydon, Croydon Park and Strathfield South. In 1948 Enfield was absorbed into the municipalities of Strathfield and Burwood.

Mapmaker:

The complicated history of the business of Higinbotham and partners, reflects the difficulties encountered by many private map publishers in colonial Australia, attempting to fill the demand for maps for newly created  municipalities that the government were unwilling to provide.

Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison were establish in 1882 and operated from Macquarie Place, in 1885 they were at 99 Pitt Street, and in 1887 Higginbotham had obtained permission to produce maps from government survey information but in the same year Harrison withdrew from the partnership. By April 1888 Higinbotham and Robinson was declared bankrupt, among the assets listed for sale were a stock of maps and the rights to 21 real estate maps of municipalities, which presumably represents the firm’s output to this time.

After being discharged from bankruptcy Higinbotham and Robinson continued in business together and by 1891 they were operating from 62 Elizabeth Street and nearby Wentworth Court. In 1895 Herbert Robinson set up on his own, operating as HEC Robinson, and developed a very successful business publishing maps and directories until his death in 1933.

With Higinbotham, Robinson and Harrison

1882-1885 –  Macquarie Place

1885-1886 – 99 Pitt Street (late 1886)

 With Higinbotham and Robinson

1886-1888 –  99 Pitt Street  (from late 1886)

1889-1894 –  62 Elizabeth Street–Wentworth Court

Reference: Atlas of the Suburbs of Sydney by Andrew Wilson, 2012

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.