C1871

High Street, West Maitland-Mr. R. Blair’s Book, Stationary, and Fancy Warehouse.

Early colonial view of High street, West Maitland, New South Wales with Robert Blair’s stationary shop. Robert Blair, bookseller and stationer, started his business in West Maitland in 1854 occupying part of the premises of Mr. Partridge, a chemist. He … Read Full Description

Sold

S/N: TACJ-NC-711216785A–415259
(B002)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

High Street, West Maitland-Mr. R. Blair’s Book, Stationary, and Fancy Warehouse.

Date:

C1871

Artist:

Unknown

Condition:

In good condition

Technique:

Hand coloured engraving.

Image Size: 

172mm 
x 160mm
AUTHENTICITY
High Street, West Maitland-Mr. R. Blair's Book, Stationary, and Fancy Warehouse. - Antique View from 1871

Genuine antique
dated:

1871

Description:

Early colonial view of High street, West Maitland, New South Wales with Robert Blair’s stationary shop.

Robert Blair, bookseller and stationer, started his business in West Maitland in 1854 occupying part of the premises of Mr. Partridge, a chemist. He announced his intention in the Maitland Mercury on Saturday 7 October 1854: Robert Blair, Bookseller, Stationers &c., advises the inhabitants of Maitland and vicinity that he has commenced business in the above line, in the shop of Mr. Partridge, Druggist, High street, West Maitland. His large supply of Interesting and Useful Works of which more detail would be given at a future day.  By 1868 in a Mercury Report on June 25th, under the title Town Improvements, mention was made of a new building being erected in High Street. This building, designed by the architect, Mr. White would occupy the site of the old tallow and chandlery establishment for many years tenanted by Mr. W. Heugh. Mr. Wolstenholme was the builder. Mr. R. Blair, the present owner of the land intended to use the new building as premises for his business as bookseller and stationer. By the end of January 1870 it was reported that Mr. Blair was now established in his new store. This building was erected on the riverside of High Street, between Church and Elgin Streets.

From the original edition of the Town and Country Journal.

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.