C1868

Menzie’s New Hotel, Corner of William and Bourke Streets, Melbourne.

Artist:

Albert Charles Cooke (1836 - 1902)

Rare engraving of the original Menzie’s Hotel situated at the south-east corner of Bourke and William streets.  The Menzie’s Hotel was the first of Melbourne’s grand hotels. The site was purchased in 1867 by Mr and Mrs Archibald Menzies whose … Read Full Description

$A 225

In stock

S/N: ISN-VM-680420353–321945
(C052)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Menzie’s New Hotel, Corner of William and Bourke Streets, Melbourne.

Date:

C1868

Artist:

Albert Charles Cooke (1836 - 1902)

Condition:

In good condition.

Technique:

Hand coloured engraving.

Image Size: 

225mm 
x 175mm
AUTHENTICITY
Menzie's New Hotel, Corner of William and Bourke Streets, Melbourne. - Antique Print from 1868

Genuine antique
dated:

1868

Description:

Rare engraving of the original Menzie’s Hotel situated at the south-east corner of Bourke and William streets.  The Menzie’s Hotel was the first of Melbourne’s grand hotels. The site was purchased in 1867 by Mr and Mrs Archibald Menzies whose Menzies Family Hotel in La Trobe Street dated from 1853. Designed by Reed & Barnes and constructed at a cost of £32 000 by David Mitchell, the three storey building with columned arcade and pavilion towers opened in November 1867.

Two floors and a corner tower were added in 1896 and electric light, telephones and a lift were installed. Suites were either painted white or walnut-panelled and had French bedsteads.  A six-storey Bourke Street wing was added in 1922 providing en-suite bathrooms and an enlarged dining room. Menzies’ guest list included royalty, Mark Twain, Sarah Bernhardt, Ignacy Paderewski, Alexander Graham Bell and Herbert Hoover. The Menzies family interest remained until the hotel’s purchase in 1936 by Sydney financier Bede Rydge. In 1942 it became South-West Pacific headquarters for General Douglas MacArthur for several months. It was sold in 1964, then closed and demolished in 1969 to make way for construction of offices for BHP

From the original edition of The Illustrated Sydney News.

Artist:

Albert Charles Cooke (1836-1902)
Cooke was a painter, engraver, draughtsman and illustrator. Throughout his career he worked for many of the Illustrated newspapers, such as the Illustrated Sydney News, Illustrated Australian News, The Australasian Sketcher and The Leader. He was also well known for a series of birds eye views of a number of Australian cities and towns.

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.