C1844

Miller's Point Sydney from the Flag Staff Hill

Please read condition report above/ price reflects the damage noted. The best colonial view of Millers Point in 1844 by this important Australian artist, with the Lord Nelson Hotel clearly named on the right. Rare. Miller’s Point at the time … Read Full Description

$A 950

S/N: SILL-003-NS-02–393333
(C011)
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Miller’s Point Sydney from the Flag Staff Hill

Date:

C1844

Condition:

Lower margin with loss, has been reinstated, other margins are narrow, otherwise image area is in good condition.

Technique:

Hand coloured lithograph.

Image Size: 

270mm 
x 185mm

Paper Size: 

290mm 
x 210mm
AUTHENTICITY
Miller's Point Sydney from the Flag Staff Hill - Antique View from 1844

Genuine antique
dated:

1844

Description:

Please read condition report above/ price reflects the damage noted.

The best colonial view of Millers Point in 1844 by this important Australian artist, with the Lord Nelson Hotel clearly named on the right. Rare. Miller’s Point at the time was an isolated village and difficult to access until Argyle cut opened in 1846.

By the 1840s the terrain was lightly populated, with workers’ cottages near the wharves and fine houses of wharf owners and merchants adorning the elevated streets. But with access to town still difficult, Millers Point remained isolated from and, socially, a cut above, its neighbour, The Rocks. This distinction was reduced, and access improved, once the high rocks were hewn through with the creation of the Argyle Cut in 1846.

At centre of the lithograph was the last remaining wooden windmill in Miller’s Point: By 1822 there were three wooden windmills erected on the high ground there, west of Sydney Cove, apparently run by a local character, Jack Leighton. Known as ‘Jack the Miller‘, he met an untimely death in 1826 when he fell, ‘in a state of intoxication’, from a ladder leaning against one of his mills. His original mill was near today’s Bettington Street, on the high ground just past Dalgety Terrace. The second mill was built on land granted to Joseph Underwood in 1817 ‘for the purpose of erecting a windmill thereon‘. It was situated west of present day Merriman Street and was demolished in 1842 and replaced by a terrace of three houses. 

The third windmill (the one in the lithograph), in the Merriman Street area, was still standing in the 1840s on land owned by a Mr Davis. The date of its disappearance is uncertain.

 

References:
Ferguson, J. A. Bibliography of Australia Volumes 1-8, Canberra 1976: F3891.
Hunt, S. & Davidson, G. Sydney Views 1788-1888: from the BEAT KNOBLAUCH collection. Sydney 2007: Item 73 Page 104.


Collections:
National Library Australia: Bib ID2903123
National Gallery Australia: 2005.1058.11
Powerhouse-Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences: P3354

John Skinner Prout (1805 - 1876)

John Skinner Prout (1805-1876) Prout was born in England Prout emigrated to Australia in 1840 with his wife and seven children. He soon became involved in the colonial life as a commercial artist, lecturing and publishing his own series of lithographs titled, Sydney Illustrated and Tasmania Illustrated in 1844-1846. His time in Tasmania teaching drawing, sketching and watercolours created interest and fostered a number of colonial amateurs. He is represented in all major institutional collections.

View other items by John Skinner Prout

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.