C1882

Sydney, From Gannon's Forest Road.

Artist:

Artist unknown.

In 1812, a wealthy merchant named Simeon Lord bought the land of Captain John Townson and named it Lord’s Forest. When Lord died, the land became the property of John Rose Holden and James Holt of the Bank of NSW. … Read Full Description

Sold

S/N: ISN-NS-820408020A–216633
(B005)
Categories:
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Sydney, From Gannon’s Forest Road.

Date:

C1882

Artist:

Artist unknown.

Condition:

In good condition.

Technique:

Hand coloured engraving.

Image Size: 

175mm 
x 100mm
AUTHENTICITY
Sydney, From Gannon's Forest Road. - Antique Print from 1882

Genuine antique
dated:

1882

Description:

In 1812, a wealthy merchant named Simeon Lord bought the land of Captain John Townson and named it Lord’s Forest. When Lord died, the land became the property of John Rose Holden and James Holt of the Bank of NSW. Development A dam with a roadway on top was constructed on the Cooks River at Tempe in 1839. In 1843, the road that was to become known as Forest Road was extended from the dam to a hand-winched punt in Lugarno. On the other side of the river, the road continued all the way to Wollongong however, it was only suitable for travellers on horseback. The new road opened up the Hurstville region and created a settlement at Bottle Forest, now known as Heathcote. In 1850, the Lord Forest estate was purchased by Michael Gannon (1800-1861), who subdivided it into small farms along what is now Croydon Road and three larger farms that were purchased by Dent, Peake, and Ibbotson. The area became known as Gannon’s Forest. The land originally granted to Robert Townson was purchased by John Connell in 1830 and, following his death in 1849, the estate was inherited by his grandsons, Elias Pearson Laycock and John Connell Laycock. The Gannon’s Forest post office opened in 1881. The local school was named “Hurstville” by School Inspector MacIntyre when it was established in 1876. When the railway station opened on 15 October 1884, it took the name Hurstville, from the school.

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

Search

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.