C1866

Statue to the Memory of His Royal Highness the Late Prince Albert, Erected at the Northern Entrance to the Hyde Park, Sydney, Inaugurated on the 23rd April, 1866.

Rare engraving of the bronze statue of Prince Albert which was inaugurated in 1866 and which is on the corner of Macquarie St and, Prince Albert Rd, Sydney. The sculpture of Prince Albert, also known as Albert the Good, was … Read Full Description

$A 145

In stock

S/N: ISN-NS-660516005–354947
(DRW08)
Categories:
Free Shipping

Within Australia

All orders ship free
within Australia

Rest of the World

Orders over A$300
ship free worldwide

See Shipping page for Terms & Conditions

Details

Full Title:

Statue to the Memory of His Royal Highness the Late Prince Albert, Erected at the Northern Entrance to the Hyde Park, Sydney, Inaugurated on the 23rd April, 1866.

Date:

C1866

Condition:

In good condition.

Technique:

Engraving.

Image Size: 

238mm 
x 348mm
AUTHENTICITY
Statue to the Memory of His Royal Highness the Late Prince Albert, Erected at the Northern Entrance to the Hyde Park, Sydney, Inaugurated on the 23rd April, 1866. - Antique View from 1866

Genuine antique
dated:

1866

Description:

Rare engraving of the bronze statue of Prince Albert which was inaugurated in 1866 and which is on the corner of Macquarie St and, Prince Albert Rd, Sydney.

The sculpture of Prince Albert, also known as Albert the Good, was erected in 1866 and was originally located at the entrance to the Lover’s Walk, the central north-south axis of Hyde Park. The bronze statue of the Prince is approximately three metres high, and is positioned on top of a granite pedestal. Prince Albert wears the robes of the order of the Garter. In his left hand he holds a sceptre and in his right an unrolled scroll. The railings around the statue are modelled on the universal trident, as used at the Exhibition of 1851. The plinth, made of Pyrmont stone, is approximately six metres by just under five metres, and is surrounded by projection pediments, on which it was intended to place lions. The statue is by English sculptor, William Theed the younger, for the Royal Albert Infirmary at Bishop’s Waltham. William Theed (1804-1891) was born in Threntham, Staffordshire. He was educated at the Royal Academy schools, and won the Silver Palette from the Society of Arts in 1820. His services were extensively used by the Royal Family.

The statue was moved in 1922, possibly to the Botanic Gardens, during the construction of the City Circle train line. In 1987 he was again moved, this time to his now prominent position in front of Hyde Park Barracks, gazing earnestly at Victoria opposite.

Reference: Louella McCarthy and Paul Ashton (eds.), Sydney Open Museum Historical Survey, Sydney City Council, 1994, item 21, pp.43-45, xviii

From the original edition of the Illustrated Sydney News.

Albert Charles Cooke (1836 - 1902)

Cooke was a painter, engraver, draughtsman and illustrator. Throughout his career he worked for many of the Illustrated newspapers, such as the Illustrated Sydney News, Illustrated Australian News, The Australasian Sketcher and The Leader. He was also well known for a series of birds eye views of a number of Australian cities and towns.

View other items by Albert Charles Cooke

Choose currency

Exchange rates are only indicative. All orders will be processed in Australian dollars. The actual amount charged may vary depending on the exchange rate and conversion fees applied by your credit card issuer.

Login

Register

The List

Join our exclusive mailing list for first access to new acquisitions and special offers.